Start your journey by ferry to Antiparos, a beautiful Aegean island with interesting history in the heart of the Cyclades, an ideal place for relaxing holidays!
Antiparos is a small inhabited island in the South Aegean Sea in the heart of the Cyclades, less than a nautical mile from Paros and about 7 minutes by ferry boat from the port of Pounda in Paros! Although Paros is particularly well known, Antiparos has nothing to envy its glamor as in recent years it has become a favorite destination for thousands of tourists, some of whom are world famous celebrities.
Apart from its magnificent Aegean beauty with its whitewashed houses, its picturesque cobbled streets, its wonderful corners with blooming red bougainvillea that adorn the gardens of the houses and shops, the visitor will admire one of the most beautiful and ancient caves of world fame, monuments and places of outstanding archaeological importance, beautiful clean beaches and delicious food with local specialties and fresh fish!
In addition, to the west of Antiparos there are 3 uninhabited small islands. A visit to Despotiko is a unique escape and experience for anyone who wants to visit more unspoilt beaches and learn about the history of this island.
Start planning your trip and book your ferry tickets in advance for beautiful Antiparos, an ideal destination for relaxation and fun.
Getting to Antiparos by ferry
Seeking to find out how getting to Antiparos, considering that there is no direct connection from any port in Attica (Athens), one should take a ferry from Piraeus, Rafina and less frequently from Lavrio to Paros and then another boat from the port of Pounta in Paros .The Paros - Antiparos ferry has frequent daily sailings (every 30 minutes) with a journey time of only 7 minutes. There is also a bus from Parikia to the port of Pounta that takes tourists to the ferry.
The routes from the ports of Attica to Paros are operated on a daily basis by both fast ferries and conventional ferries.
More specifically, the ferry connections from Athens to Paros are the following:
- Piraeus - Paros: The trip takes about 3 hours by speedboat and about 4.5 hours by conventional ferry
- Rafina - Paros: During the summer season the route is operated daily by conventional ferries and lasts between 3 and 6.5 hours
- Lavrio - Paros: The journey takes approximately 7 hours
It is important to note that tickets for the boat from Pounta to Antiparos are only available on board and cannot be purchased in advance.
Port of Antiparos
The port of Antiparos is situated on the northeast side of the island, just opposite of Pounta in Paros, in a distance of less than 15km. When you get off the ship, you can easily walk to any point of the main village but if you are carrying heavy luggage, you can always book a transfer by visiting Antiparos Taxi. Have in mind though, that there are only a few taxis serving, so in high season, it may be difficult to find one.
Moving to the settlements of Antiparos is also done with the Municipal Bus Service, the starting point of which is located in front of Agia Marina Square, while moving around the historic centre is done by bicycle or on foot.
Undoubtedly renting a car, a motorbike or a bicycle in a local agency gives the visitor the opportunity to explore wonderful parts of the island and move around in freedom. There are many agencies that give you this opportunity, especially in the main village, near the port.
Vacations in Antiparos
In recent years, vacations in Antiparos have been chosen as a main destination and not just as a day trip as it was in previous years due to its proximity to Paros and Naxos which are very popular islands.
The reason why Antiparos gains the admiration of tourists year after year is that although it is a tiny, Greek island unlike other popular islands, it remains private and secluded and takes you back in time as it has an atmosphere of the early 1960s. It's not as crowded and locals can share a coffee with the visitor as if they were one of them.
Antiparos is a hidden gem with just one main street , a limited coastal promenade and picturesque alleys ! The nightlife is almost non-existent so it is not recommended for those who want to live in a vibrant rhythm but for those who are looking for a different kind of holiday more relaxing that will leave them feeling relaxed and detached from the stress of everyday life.
When visitors arrive in Antiparos they can see a few interesting sights and a handful of relaxed but extremely beautiful beaches. There are some great places to eat, as well as beachfront hotels with heavenly views of the coast. Should the visitor want to get into a more intense rhythm, a day trip to Paros is a good solution!
So, if you are in search of a pristine place without missing the atmosphere that the Greek island exudes, choose Antiparos for your next trip.
Must-see Attractions and Sightseeing in Antiparos
There are few must-see attractions and sightseeing in Antiparos, an island with an important history and rare natural beauty. Some of the places worth discovering are:
- Cave of Antiparos
- Venetian Castle
- Tour of the island by boat
- Historical and Folklore Museum
- Excursion to Despotiko, the uninhabited island with a rich history
- Visit the pretty villages in Antiparos: Agios Georgios, Soros and Kampos
- Visit the Chora of Antiparos
Beaches in Antiparos
There are several beaches you can enjoy in Antiparos, other well organized and other more unspoiled. Among the best beaches are Soros and Agios Giorgos, in the south.
Below a list of the available beaches in Antiparos:
- Agios Georgios Beach: a calm corner not organized, as well as the departure point to visit the archaeological site and island of Despotiko.The seaside tavernas in Agios Georgios are well-known for their fresh seafood
- Soros Beach: is a long sandy well-organized beach and you can enjoy a lunch at the restaurant in the area serving fresh salads and fish
- Psaraliki Beach: consists of two coasts and is one of the most popular on the island, well organized with a beach bar and water sport activities
- Faneromeni Beach: not an easily accessible pebble beach with crystal clear waters. It is not organized and is a paradise for snorkeling lovers!
- Agios Spyridon Beach: a sandy beach with the shallowest water on the island that makes it family-friendly , also known as the 'Baby Beach' . There are plenty of options for dining.
- Sostis Beach: it is a small beach with amazing blue waters, but not organized, so it is advisable to bring your own umbrella and some necessary equipment.
- Sifneiko Beach: with luscious golden sands and crystal water and has some of the most incredible sunsets on the island. It is ideal for adventure lovers, as there are plenty of opportunities to go snorkelling and enjoy other water activities. Also nearby there are lots of gorgeous restaurants to enjoy your dinner.
- Camping Beach: very close to Antiparos town just 100 meters walk, and one of the most popular and frequently visited beaches,with white sandy and shallow waters, it is a favourite meeting point for campers, while the eastern part of the coast is a designated nudist beach.
- Panagia Beach: with crystal clear waters and golden sand, this is truly a stunning beach to relax on in Antiparos.There are a number of incredible tavernas nearby serving delicious Greek cuisine.
- Glyfa Beach: ideal for families with stunning waters and spectacular sands, and one of the must-visit beaches in Antiparos.There are many fantastic taverns located nearby, which serve delicious Greek food.
- Apantima Beach: is a magical pebbled beach, picturesque and charming, making it the ideal spot to relax, and sunbathe.The best way to get to this beach is by bus. There are many nice taverns, bars and restaurants.
Hotels in Antiparos
As it is such a small island, hotels in Antiparos are also limited and tend to close quickly at the beginning of the season. Accommodation options range from luxury resorts to family-run guesthouses, beautiful apartments with white Cycladic architecture imposing and can meet the needs of all travellers.
Some nice suggestions for your accommodation in Antiparos are:
- Kouros Village
- Ergina Summer Resort
- Degaetas Resort - 5star
- Eleftheria Studios
- Sunset Pounda
Short escapes from Antiparos
With this quiet island as a base, visiting Antiparos to the famous uninhabited island of Despotiko is always a challenge.The traveler will be able to visit the archaeological site and swim in the wonderful beaches known worldwide.
A lure is the short escapes from Antiparos to nearby bustling cosmopolitan islands such as Paros and Naxos.