Ferry to Hermioni
Passengers traveling by ferry to Hermioni reach a small seaside town and port on the eastern coast of Peloponnese in the Aegean Sea, in the region of Argolis!
The town is built around the port on the green slopes of a hill and serves as a getaway for many Athenians who have got holiday homes there. Families that are looking for relaxed and peaceful holidays, will be amazed by the natural beauty of the environment and the convenient location of the town. From HHermioni it is easy to make an excursion to Ancient Epidaurus, to Porto Heli, Nafplion, Hydra, Spetses and Poros. Spending your vacations in Hermioni (or Hermione in the ancient Greek) you either stay in town and enjoy traditional food, long walks, swimming and relaxing, or you can use Hermioni as a starting point to explore the eastern coasts of the Peloponnese.
Hermione was founded by Dryopes who were deported from central Greece and later the Dorians dominated in Argolida. Keeping Argos as their center, gradually expanded throughout Argolida and occupied the city of Hermioni. At that time Dryopes, the old inhabitants were settled in the town Halieis, one of the two ports of Hermioni. Later, during the Peloponnesian War, being an alliance of the Spartans, Hermioni suffered many disasters by the Athenians. Later in 146b.c. the Romans conquered the town which experienced great growth. According to the Greek traveler and geographer Pausanias during the classical period the inhabitants occupied with the production of porphyra, the red color who used to dye the uniforms of the armies including the one of Alexander the Great. During the last centuries of the Byzantine Empire the area was declining, in 1388 the Venetians took the rule of Hermioni and later came the Turkish occupation until the Revolution of 1821.
Nowadays, about 2,500 people live in the seaside town and port Hermione, which displays the features of an island. The economy is supported by agriculture and fishing and of course by tourism, due to the picturesque and convenient location. Ferry routes HHermioni connect the town with Piraeus and some islands of the Saronic Gulf, like Hydra and Spetses, which makes Hermioni ideal for island hopping.
Hermioni port is in the center of the town and provides all the facilities to the passengers such as restaurants, bars and accommodation options. Take a walk along the seaside and taste all the food specialities, drink your ouzo with the traditional fish dishes. Book a hotel or apartment and admire the port view from the balcony.
Hermioni port is in the center of the town and depending on the distance you can walk or take a taxi. Upon arrival by ferry, taxis are waiting at the port in case you need a transfer to the city or another spot in the area. Alternatively, you can always book one in Hermioni Taxis.
Ferry Routes from Hermioni
Ferry routes Hermioni connect the town with Piraeus and some famous islands of the Saronic Gulf, like Hydra and Spetses, which makes Hermioni ideal for island hopping. Summer routes are daily and more often but in peak periods and especially during weekends, the fast ferries are quickly booked, so it is advisable that you make your ferry reservation in advance.
- Hermioni to Hydra (25 mins)
- Hermioni to Spetses (25 mins)
- Hermioni to Porto Heli (45 min)
- Hermioni to Poros island (1hr and 15mins)
- Hermioni to Piraeus/Athens (2.5hrs)
Holidays in Hermioni
Spending your vacations in Hermioni (or Hermione in the ancient Greek) you either stay in town and enjoy traditional food, long walks, swimming and relaxing, or you can use Hermioni as a starting point to explore the close islands or the eastern coasts of the Peloponnese.
Beaches in Hermioni
Hermioni is an ideal destination for families with children, as it offers nice beaches most of which are listed below:
- Hermioni Beach is the town’s beach in a walking distance of 5 min from the port. Small and unorganized is a good idea if you do not want to take a car or if you prefer to stay in the center and want to make a quick dip
- Kouverta in a distance of 9 km from Hermioni town, is a clean and sandy beach for swimming and relaxing
- Metochi is a small pebbled and sandy beach 18 km east of Hermioni. Water taxis can transfer you to the island of Hydra in 15 minutes. In the area there are bars as well as local restaurants to taste fresh fish and wine
- Pigadia, with a few tourist amenities, is a small beach 15 km far from Hermioni. According to history the locals found there the seashell Porphyra, from which they made the kings’ clothes. Take advantage of the beautiful landscape and relax, dive and swim
- Plepi, 13 km from Hermioni is a sandy beach with clear blue waters, unorganized and not so crowded even in summer
- Bisti Beach, the closest to the center of the town, is easily accessible, with calm and clear waters
- Thermissia village is located near Hermioni at a distance of 10 km. The village is worth visiting not only for the beaches of the area but for the traditions and the landscape. According to mythology, the inhabitants adored the goddess of Thermissia, Demetra and they have dedicated a temple to her. There is also the caste of Thermissia which witness the era of the Venetians dating back to 12 century
Hotels in Hermioni
- Hermioni Club
- Porto Hydra
- Leonidas Resort
- Grand Bleu Apartments
- Zoe pension
Excursions from Hermioni
Except for the islands of the Saronic Gulf, a good idea is to visit the area of Kranidi with the Folklore Museum and Nafplio with the Archaeological Museum, which hosts many findings that had their origin in the Ancient Town of Hermioni. Nafplion itself is also worth a visit, as there are a lot of historical sites to see. Before leaving with a ferry from Hermioni, visitors should take the opportunity and go on a trip to Dokos islet, where they can admire the remains of the oldest known shipwreck in the world.
Schedules & Prices Hermioni
Choose your departure port and date and get all current ferry schedules and prices for Hermioni!