Take a ferry to Thirassia, the beautiful, small, neighboring island of Santorini in the Aegean and get a taste of what Santorini looked like several years ago!
If you take a look at the map of the Aegean Sea and you look closely you will discover the round shape that the island of Santorini had before the volcanic eruption of 1600 BC. The tiny island of Thirassia was once part of the much larger island of Strongylis but after the eruption of the volcano most of the island submerged into the sea leaving Santorini as we know it today along with Glaronisi, Nea and Palaia Kammeni and the north eastern part of Strongyli, Thirassia.
Thirassia is located at a short distance from the port of Oia, Amoudi harbor. The island is like a mirage of Santorini with breathtaking landscapes and a natural, unspoiled charm. Like the rest of the cycladic islands, Thirassia has the traditional architecture of Cyclades with whitewashed houses, churches and chapels and turquoise waters.
In striking contrast to Santorini, Thirassia remains untouched by mass tourism and is the only inhabited island of the Caldera islands, apart from Santorini. Even before the ferry reaches Thirassia you will get the feeling that the time has stopped somewhere in the 50s. There are many abandoned houses and unused fields. The few permanent inhabitants of the island have a way of life that resists time and they are mainly engaged in the reconstruction of buildings, fishing, animal breeding and tourism.
Book in advance your ferry tickets to Thirassia and spend a few days on this virgin island where anxiety and stress are words unknown since the island has a laid back atmosphere, ideal for relaxation.
How to get to Τhirassia Santorini by ferry
During the summer months you can reach the island of Thirassia with a direct ferry from the main port of Athens, Piraeus. The duration of the sailing can be around 14 hours.
During the winter months you can reach the island only if you travel to Santorini first and you will find a route available from every port of the island. The distance between Santorini and Thirassia is short and the sailing duration takes from 10 minutes to 45 minutes depending on the ferry type and the departure port.
Santorini - Thirasia ferry
- Port of Athinios: this is the best option if you want to travel to Thirassia with your vehicle as this connection is served by conventional ferries. Athinios is the main port of Santorini
- Old port of Fira: this route is part of daily boat trips and for more information you should contact or visit the local travel agencies
- Port of Oia (Ammoudi): the distance between the Ammoudi and Thirassia is the shortest and is served by a small boat
Τhirasia ferry ports
Although the island is small there are 2 ferry ports in Thirassia, the port of Korfos and the port of Agia Irini (also known as Port of Rivas).
The main port is Agia Irini, located on the north coast of Thirasia island. As soon as you arrive on the island you will find a few traditional taverns that serve fresh seafood and a beautiful black pebbled beach.
The port of Korfos is a smaller port with fishing boats that serves smaller boats and ferries arriving from the port of Santorini. It is accessible only by boat or through a path of 270 stairs. Next to the port there is also a beach with amazing waters and a unique view of the volcanic landscape of Santorini.
You can travel to Thirasia island either as a foot passenger or with your vehicle as it has a good road system. The island is only 9 square kilometers in size so it’s easy to move around.
There is a bus running between the settlement of Riva to Manolas and Potamos.
For more information please contact: +30 22860 25404.
For a more convenient way to arrive at your destination there is also a private taxi service on the island.
For more information please visit taxis in Thirassia.
Holidays in Thirassia, Greece
Although Thirassia is very close to the popular island of Santorini and although it has a lot of resemblances with Santorini, it has accomplished to preserve its traditional and colorful character. What the island might lack in size it replenishes in impressive geological formations, folklore architecture and sceneries with an unspoiled beauty. Traveling to Thirassia is like traveling to Santorini back in the time, when it was still a hidden gem awaiting discovery.
Get ready to explore the island and let us help you organize your to-do list!
- Enjoy some of the best sunsets and the panoramic views of Santorini from the chapel of Prophet Elias, the highest point of the island
- Spend a few hours in the traditional village of Potamos and take some photos of the houses with the little yards, full of red geranium and bougainvilleas
- Visit one of the many churches and monasteries of Thirasia. The most important religious monument is the church of Agios Konstantinos in the village of Manolas
- Take a walk through the village of Agrilia, one of the oldest settlements of the island with an authentic vibe, traditional cave houses and wine cellars
- Wander around Chora, the village of Manolas and enjoy a stroll through the narrow alleys with the whitewashed houses
- Visit the archaeological site of Akrotiri with findings of an ancient settlement that was built around the 5th century BC
Although the island is not famous for its sandy coastlines the main attraction of the island is the pure nature and the virgin beaches. Due to the volcanic origins of Thirassia the coast is steep and only a few of them are accessible, offering magnificent views to the caldera.
The most popular beach is the secluded and non organized beach of Agia Irini that has a black sand, black stones, a wilder beauty and crystal clear dark blue waters, located on the northernmost side of Thirassia.
The small beach of Korfos is also a wonderful beach with volcanic rock formations from where you can dive. It is located on the east side of the island and it has black pebbles and pumice stones.
Thirassia hotels & accommodations
Τourism on the island has not yet developed so the accommodation options are relatively limited. We therefore recommend that you make your reservation as soon as possible to ensure that there is availability for the dates you wish to travel.
Please find below some of the best rated hotels:
- Thirassia Paradise Suites
- Santa Irini Retreat
- Petinos Traditional House
- Agrilia Secluded Cave House
- Evanthia Best View Thirassia Hotel
Island Hopping from Thirassia
The locations of Thirassia make it an ideal destination for some island hopping. During high season there are frequent routes to some other beautiful islands of the Cyclades that are worth a visit, so don’t miss the chance to visit: