Take the ferry to Vulcano and discover a unique island in the Aeolian Archipelago with a special atmosphere boasting one of the only active volcanoes in Italy!
Vulcano is one of the 7 Aeolian Islands and the closest to Sicily at only 25 km from its northern coast and is famous for its volcanic craters and its famous mud baths, with the special strong smell of sulphur pervading the island! Due to its special volcanic landscape, it has been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and certainly this destination is of particular interest to the traveler interested in geology and hiking. Arriving on the island, hiking to the crater of the active volcano is a must. for an amazing experience with stunning views of the rest of the Aeolian Islands and the Tyrrhenian Sea.
According to mythology, the Romans and Greeks called Vulcano by the name "Terasia" or "Terra Calda" (hot earth) because of the presence of the volcano. There have been several eruptions, such as that of 1739, during which a flow of obsidian known as "pietre cotte" (fiery stones) was released, which can be seen on the northwestern slope of the Fossa, and the last violent eruption of the last century, which lasted from August 1888 to March 1890.
The volcanoes of the island are four, Vulcano della Fossa which is the largest and the only active one, Vulcanello, Monte Aria which is the highest and Monte Saraceno with the most peculiar shape. What is impressive and the visitor will enjoy during his stay on the island is the well-known phenomenon of "fumarola" which are in fact visible manifestations of volcanic activity! Aside from being a volcanic island in the Aeolian Islands complex, Vulcano has fantastic hiking trails in nature and in the volcanic craters, mud baths with therapeutic and relaxing properties and beautiful beaches.Definitely this island is ideal for those who love nature and hiking and definitely not for those who prefer intense entertainment and nightlife.
Plan your trip to Vulcano and book your tickets in advance through our platform and get to know a special island!
How to reach Vulcano by ferry
In order to reach Vulcano by ferry, you can travel from mainland Sicily from the port of Milazzo , Messina and Palermo as well as from the ports of Naples, Salerno and Reggio Calabria. Connections are made by hydrofoil.
Ferry schedules of Vulcano
The ferry schedules of Vulcano are quite a few among the other Aeolian Islands.
The most frequent connection is the one between Vulcano and Milazzo since the distance between them is very short, about 33 km, therefore the travel time is much shorter than the other connections.
The ferry connections from/to Vulcano are the following:
- Vulcano - Milazzo: is the most frequent connection between the Aeolian Islands and Sicily with many daily connections with a journey time from 45 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes depending on the ferry company and the ferry
- Vulcano - Alicudi: the connection is daily throughout the year with the routes increasing during the high season. The duration of the trip is about 2 hours
- Vulcano - Lipari: the connection is daily with many itineraries and lasts from 10 minutes to 20 minutes depending on the ferry company
- Vulcano - Rinella: there is a daily connection between the islands with about 9 routes per day and the journey time from 25 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes depending on the ferry company
- Vulcano - Salina: there are many daily sailings and the duration of the trip ranges from 35 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Vulcano - Ginostra: this connection is operated up to 4 times a day by two shipping companies and the duration of the trip varies from 1 hour and 35 minutes to 3 hours depending on the company and the ship
- Vulcano- Panarea: the connection is all year round with two departures per day and in high season the number of daily departures is increased to 6 per day and the duration of the trip is 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Vulcano - Filicudi: the connection is possible all year round with 2 daily sailings in low season and more in high season. The duration of the trip is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Vulcano - Stromboli: there are 2 daily sailings throughout the year and in high season they increase to almost double the number. The journey takes from 1 hour and 40 minutes to 2 hours
The port of Vulcano
Porto di Levante is the port of Vulcano and is located in the northern part of the island with most activities taking place in and around it. Near the port area the visitor will find the famous mud baths and the famous hot water springs. In the port area there is a pier where hydrofoils from the mainland as well as the other islands of the archipelago and Sicily are docking Around the harbor you can find bars, restaurants, shops, boat, car, bicycle and scooter rental offices and near the pier there is a taxi parking area.
Transportation in Vulcano
The transportation to Vulkano is easy with various means of transport. It is very important to mention that during the peak months (from June to September) the circulation of vehicles in Vulcano is prohibited.
More specifically, the means of transport in Vulcano are the following:
Car / Motorcycle / Bicycle (normal or electric)
You can rent a car, motorbike or bicycle , ideally electric, at the port to navigate the island with ease.
There are buses of the Scaffidi Company that connect the port with various parts of the island.
Vacations in Vulcano
Vacations in Vulcano for the traveler, is a different and unique experience since he will get to know an island with an authentic and unique atmosphere clearly due to its active volcanic nature. It is definitely an ideal choice for those who love hiking, while climbing the crater of the active volcano will offer unforgettable moments!
In addition, the island is famous for its mud baths which, apart from the relaxation they offer, also have therapeutic benefits.Something completely different in Vulcano are the black beaches of Porto di Ponente and the volcanic beaches of Gelso!
We would say that this travel destination is suitable for families and groups of friends as it offers a peaceful and relaxing holiday away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life!
Sightseeing in Vulcano
The sightseeing in Vulcano is definitely the hike to the active volcano of Fossa, the famous mud baths for real enjoyment and relaxation but also beautiful beaches and bays.
Let's look at some places worth visiting:
- Explore Cratere della Fossa: this is the main attraction of the island with this crater having a diameter of about 500 meters and you should definitely spend a few hours to see this unique spectacle. We would advise choosing a guide for more information about the volcano and for greater safety. When hiking to the top there are areas where the ground is very hot and a special gas mask is needed
- Visit Valle dei Mostri: is located in Vulcanello and its shape resembles an amphitheater, filled with labyrinthine rock statues everywhere, eroded by the sea and the wind that can take on the appearance of monsters, hence the name of the valley
- Therapeutic mud baths and it's hot springs: bathing in the thermal waters of the mud baths is particularly relaxing and rejuvenating for the skin
- Walking tour of Vulcanello and Cape Grillo
- A boat tour of the island with stops at Grotta del Cavallo and Vulcano Gelso
- Visit to Porto di Levante Bay: you will be amazed by its fumaroles and hot underwater springs
- Visit the black beaches at Porto di Ponente
Beaches in Vulcano
The beaches in Vulcano are not very long and have mostly black sand! There are several beaches, some steep and rocky, others that are only accessible by boat and some beautiful and crowded. We recommend some of them that are worth seeing during your stay on the island:
- Baia di Ponente: is a beautiful beach with shallow waters and is the starting point for many boat trips. The atmosphere at sunset is unique
- Spiaggia delle Fumarole: this beach is surrounded by rocks and beautiful nature while the waters are heated by the sulfurous vapors of the island. In some places the water is very warm and requires attention due to the influence of the underwater springs
- Spiaggia del Gelso: is a secluded quiet black sandy beach with excellent views
- Asino Beach: is a black sand cove quiet during the day and quite busy in the evening hours that turns into a lively beach bar. It combines crystal clear waters, black sand and views of the volcanic craters. An imposing place that is ideally accessible by water taxi and on foot but is a bit rough
- Piscina di Venere: accessible only by boat starting from Ponente beach. It is very calm and surrounded by unspoilt nature
Hotels in Vulcano
Although an island of only a few square kilometers, the hotels in Vulcano are plentiful and cover almost all the needs and budget of every traveler.
We give you an indicative list of hotels in Vulcano:
- Residence Al Mare: is a small hotel consisting of 9 rooms and is located a 15 minute walk from Terme di Vulcano and 12 km from Sabbia Nere beach
- I Pagghiari di Vulcano: located 400 meters from Lake Vasca di Fanghi, it offers 10 beautiful rooms. It is just 600 meters from the Scoglio delle Sirene and close to the thermal baths of Vulcano
- Pensione La Giara: a few minutes from the port and the center of Vulcano. It is a beautiful hotel with pleasant rooms and a beautiful terrace with a wonderful view
- Therasia Resort Sea and Spa: most rooms overlook the Sicilian sea, with views of Lipari and the islands of the archipelago and others towards the volcano
- Vulcano Blu Residence: a fully renovated residence with beautiful windswept apartments and many amenities such as a panoramic swimming pool and a private beach with umbrellas and sunbeds
- Mari del Sud Resort: is a resort that combines deep blue sea and greenery. Completely renovated with architectural elements of the aeolian tradition and modern facilities. Located near the Sabbia Nere beach
- Hotel Garden: a lovely 4-star hotel located 1.2 km from the Spiaggia Sabbie Nere and includes 37 fully equipped and beautifully decorated rooms. Many rooms have beautiful sea views
- Eros Hotel: is a charming 4 star hotel with lovely rooms with sea view and is conveniently located just a few meters from the port and the center. It is ideal for couples who can enjoy romantic afternoons with breathtaking sunsets