Passengers traveling by ferry to Rio Marina are entering a small town of great importance back in the day for its iron ore mining and shipping!
Veins who run iron! That's the best justification you can give to this village of Elba island. Visitors traveling by ferry to the destination Rio Marina, fire and iron's territory, will soon smell it in the air. Ocher yellow and blood-red themes, turquoise sea and black sand are for sure going to draw your attention. Rio Marina was leaning on its iron mining for thousands of years but since the mines closed and now they are the town's main attraction, tourism has replaced the iron ore shipping. The Mining Park (Parco Minerario) is a landscape with rich history underneath it. Settled in 1991, Parco Minerario's purpose of creation was to upgrade the city and all the damaged areas of the island. Nowadays that the park is only for visitation, tourists can get around, explore the old railway tracks and learn everything about its background on foot, riding a bike or on a military jeep but the funniest way to do it is on the small train. It is notable to say that during your visit to the park, you can get tools for mining and the best part is that you can keep the stones. If you are looking for a beautiful view of the village to take some pictures, the Clock Tower of Appiani is the right place. It cannot be missed, given that it is huge and can be clearly seen from the port. Its purpose then was to prevent pirate attacks and now many exhibitions are taking place especially in high tourist seasons.
Rio Marina includes many beaches. There are three main close to the port whose one cannot be accessed due to the fact that it is very close to the port area. Del Sasso beach, going north, is the second one and most crowded despite being tiny. The third one is below the Appiani Tower so it is very easy to find. All these three beaches consist of dark sand and shingles. Topinetti beach is the first beach you reach after going towards Cavo. It is a quiet beach with beautiful colors and your trip there can be combined with Mining Park. Another quiet beach, again in the mining area of the town is Cala Seregola which can be achieved with the public minibus service. Last but not least, on the 16th of August, there is a feast day of San Rocco, patron saint of Rio Marina, taking place where you can always have fun with the locals.
Rio Marina is a small village of approx. 2.200 people and is located opposite of Piombino Strait. Ferry routes to Rio Marina include routes from Piombino and Pianosa, especially in high season months.
Rio Marina ferry routes
The Rio Marina ferry routes connect the island of Elba of the Tuscan Archipelago with the Italian mainland and with the island of Pianosa.
Passenger and vehicle tickets can be issued through our booking engine with the regular ferries and your pets are welcome on board. Hydrofoils have no garage, so cars and motorbikes can not be transfered.
- Rio Marina to Piombino with a journey duration of 45 mins
- Rio Marina to Isola di Pianosa is a weekly ferry route with a sailing time of 1h 50mins
Ferry port of Rio Marina
Forthcoming information advises on how to get to the ferry port Rio Marina from the Marina di Campo Airport and the Rio Marina City Center by train, bus and taxi.
How to get to Rio Marina Port
How to get to the Rio Marina Port from the Marina di Campo Airport and the Rio Marina City Center?
Marina di Campo Airport to Rio Marina Port
Upon arrival at the Marina di Campo Airport, you can get to the Rio Marina Port easily by metro, bus and taxi. See below your alternatives in further detail.
Take the bus lines 116 and 117 from La Pila that go to Rio Marina through Portoferraio. Since there is a stop, the journey takes approx. 2.30 hours but it's the cheapest way to reach your destination. More information at Marina di Campo Buses.
Taxis are everywhere outside the airport terminals. Grab one and go to Rio Marina or call +39 0565 1825 to organize your transportation.
Rio Marina City Center to Rio Marina Port
From the City Center of Rio Marina, you can get to the Rio Marina port by taking advantage of the following public transportation means.
The port of Rio Marina is very close to the center so you can easily approach it on foot but you can also do it using a taxi.
Please visit Rio Marina Taxis to organize your transportation.
Places to visit(h2)
During the stay in Rio Marina tourists can visit some of the historic sites of the island:
- Church of San Rocco in the historical center of the town built during the 16th century as a place of prayer for the workers in the mines. Nowadays it is a parish church
- The impressive Hexagonal Tower with the clock situated at the port, originally built during the 16th century and reconstructed in 1880
- The Mineral Museum in the center of the town of Rio Marina is worth visiting, including all the history of the mines of the island. Hosted in the Palazzo del Buro, presents an impressive collection of 1000 different stones and minerals, gathered after 1960. Original tools, photographs and documentation of the old mines show all the procession of the extraction of the iron
- Another historical building is the Tonietti Mausoleum designed in 1990 for the Tonietti family but finally it was never used as a burial place. Unfortunately today the inside and outside of the building are not well-preserved and the original decorations are ruined. Although if you manage to get on top the view of the Tyrrhenian coastline is wonderful
Below some of the main beaches are listed:
- Tower Beach is the closest to the port of Rio Marina next to the ferry dock. Many facilities are available nearby like shops, restaurants and coffee shops. Parking lots are available
- Porticciolo is a pebbly beach with cliffs on both sides which can be approached by a path. No facilities are available
- North of Rio Marina is Topinetti Beach where you can go by car. There is a small bar for refreshing drinks or coffee. Tourists can enjoy the sea and sun, swimming in the clear crystal waters and sunbathing lying on the sand
- A little further from the port but in the municipality of Rio Marina, is located the Ortano Beach, which is the largest and the most visited. Parking places, a bar and restaurant are available so, it is suggested, if you want to spend the day at the beach