Take a ferry to Thimena and enjoy your stay on this tiny, unspoilt, picturesque and quiet beautiful island of the Aegean sea that has its very own rhythms!
Thimena, also known as Fymaina, is a small island that belongs to the Fournoi complex, located between the popular islands of Samos and Ikaria. According to the locals, the island´s name derives from the many thyme plants that exist on the island.
There are only 140 inhabitants on the island that live in the only two settlements of the island. The first settlement and biggest one is called Thimena and is a coastal village and the second settlement of the island, located on the east side within a walking distance from Thimena is called Keramidoy.
The island is one of the smallest islands of Greece with an area of just 10 square kilometers. It is also one of the most beautiful islands of Greece surrounded by impressive nature and imposing landscapes, crystal clear seas and a laid back atmosphere which makes the island an ideal place for those that seek for relaxation and an escape from the stress of everyday life.
If you are looking for a quiet destination and an authentic Greek everyday life, book in advance your ferry tickets to Thimena, the perfect place to be as it remains untouched by mass tourism and is famous for its tranquility that resembles paradise.
Reaching Thimena by ferry
The only way to reach Thimena is through the neighboring islands of Fourni, Ikaria and Samos as there is a local ferry connection between them. This means that anyone wishing to visit Thimena must first approach one of the above mentioned islands.
Thimena ferry port
The port of Thimena is located in the settlement of Thimena. It's a small picturesque port with many fishing boats and turquoise waters that welcomes excursion boats from the village of Fourni and ferries from the islands of Ikaria and Samos. Unfortunately, the port and the island have almost no tourist facilities and the road network is not developed.
Holidays in Thimena
The main occupation of the few permanent residents of the island is fishing and livestock farming. There are only a few small businesses such as two traditional cafes, a taverns and two grocery stores.
The island is an ideal destination for a relaxing holiday. Here you can get in touch with nature, enjoy crystal clear waters and hike through the mountain paths. A trip to Thimena is a journey through time as it looks like a village from another world with whitewashed houses with the typical cycladic architecture and hospitable people.
For your convenience please find below some of the things that you can do and see in Thimena:
- Visit one of the many paddocks where animals were gathered and locals made cheese
- Wander around the two settlements and visit the bay of Agios Nikolaos and the historic spring of Vagia
- Sit under the old plane tree in the island’s square
- Follow the old paths that lead to beautiful landscaped with amazing views
- The island has many churches and chapels. Visit Saint George and admire the wooden iconostasis that is decorated with reliefs of flowers
- Stroll around the narrow alleys of the village and taste the local sweets
- Try some fresh fish at the local tavern
Where to stay in Thimena
The tourist development on the island is yet insignificant and there are only five rooms for rent in the main settlement and only three in the even smaller settlement of Keramidoy. The rooms in Thimena are a small distance from the port and the rooms of Keramidoy are located in front of the beautiful beach of the village, close to a few shops and a tavern. All of them are carefully designed with clean rooms and well equipped. Due to the limited availability of accommodation options it is highly recommended you book in advance.
For more information please contact:
- Rooms Thimena - Evaggelos Markakis +30 697 0431 620
- Rooms Keramidoy - Georgia Kottara +30 22750 32797, +30 698 1566 351
The island is characterized by steep rocky coasts and beaches and is included in the Natura 2000 network as a Special Protection Area due to the environmental importance of the marine and terrestrial ecosystems of Thimena and the species of flora and fauna.
Thimena has a few beautiful beaches with crystal clear waters ideal for swimming and relaxation.
- Ai Giorgis Beach: located in the main settlement of Thimena. A sandy beach that attracts many tourists
- Keramidou Beach: popular for its thick sand and the trees of Almyrida that grow only there providing natural shades
- Lakkos Beach: a small secluded beach famous for its cool waters