Book a ferry to Tzia and enjoy your holidays on a beautiful, cosmopolitan and friendly island of the Cyclades island chain just one hour away from Athens!
Kea, also known as Tzia or Gia, is a popular destination thanks to its proximity to Athens and thanks to its beautiful landscape with steep mountains, small meadows, olive groves, secluded beaches and picturesque coves.
Either you are looking for a quick getaway and escape from everyday life or for a day cruise to the islands close to Athens or for a holiday destination the island can be easily approached from Athens. The island has always been a favorite destination for sailors and diving enthusiasts as it hides many shipwrecks under the sea.
The island of Kea is the closest Cycladic island to Athens but upon your arrival you won’t find the typical cycladic architecture with whitewashed cubic houses and blue domed churches. Instead you will find colorful neoclassical houses with elegant architecture.
Moreover, in comparison with the rest of the islands of the Cyclades, Kea is a more verdant island with rare plant species and wild animals which makes Kea an ideal place for nature lovers.
If you are into off road driving and hiking the island offers a few dirt roads that will amaze you and walking paths and trails, through beautiful landscapes that lead to remote coves and ruins of the ancient cities of Ioulis, Korissia, Poiessa and Karthaia that flourished in the Archaic period.
According to mythology Tzia was the first home of the nymphs and once you visit the island you will undoubtedly understand why.
Make in advance your Kea Tzia ferry booking and organize your stay on the island.
Getting to Tzia, Greece, by ferry
The easiest way to reach Tzia is from the port of Lavrio in Athens. The port of Lavrio is the third busiest port in the region of Attica and is a great starting point for trips to the Cyclades. It is located approximately 60 km southeast of Athens and there is a connection between Lavrio and Kea all year round. The duration of the sailing is one hour and the route is served by conventional ferries for passengers and vehicles.
Tzia ferry port
The ferry port of Kea is in the settlement of Korissia, also known as Livadi, on the western side of the island. Korissia is actually a natural port and one of the largest and safest in the Mediterranean located in the bay of Agios Nikolaos. It is a picturesque and cosmopolitan port with various types of shops( like supermarkets, bakeries and souvenir shops), restaurants, hotels, cafes and bars as Korissia is one of the most touristic parts of the island. As the ferry reaches the island the Lighthouse of Agios Nikolaos with its small church it's one of the first things that visitors will see.
There is a public bus service running between the main attractions and settlements of the island.
For more information please visit buses in Tzia.
For an easier but more expensive way of transportation you could also book a taxi. You will find a taxi station in Chora, next to the port and the main settlements.
To book a taxi please call: +30 697 7575 822, +30 693 9337 105, +30 693 2418 821.
Things to do in Tzia
The beautiful Cycladic island of Kea/ Tzia is an ideal destination for those that seek an alternative place and a special experience for themselves. You’ ll love discovering its watermills, windmills, beaches, hellenistic towers and charming settlements.
For your convenience please find below some of the best locations we recommend you visit:
Pack in your suitcase some flavors from Tzia, like the local loza (the prosciutto of the Aegean), honey, spoon sweets, figs and some local cheese.
- Visit Agios Nikolaos and Tamelos, the island’s lighthouses
- Spend an amazing afternoon in Ioulida. Stroll through the narrow streets of Chora and take some photos of the colorful houses and the stone lion that has welcomed visitors of the island since 600 bc
- Look out for the neoclassical old school building and the town hall
- Take a walk through the oak forest that belongs to the Natura 2000 protection network
- Enjoy the views from the Monastery of Panagia Kastriani in Otzias, located on top of a rock above the sea
- Admire the paintings of the well known Greek Painter Alekos Fasianos in the central square of the capital
- Take a walk through the settlement of Vourkari, the tiny fishing village, ideal for seafood or for some drinks with a view of the sailing boats
- Follow the hiking paths and discover the four ancient independent city states of the island: Karthea, Korissia, Poisses and Ioulida
- Visit Ancient Karthea, the ancient city that was founded during the archaic period and admire its fascinating remains and monuments
- Dive in the bottom of Tzia and explore the shipwrecks of the World Wars, like the famous Britannic ship (the sister of Titanic)
The island has many beautiful beaches popular for their dreamy crystal clear waters. Most of them are organized and easily accessible but there are also many small secluded beaches ideal for relaxation and privacy.
Please find below a list with the best rated beaches of the island:
- Koundouros: located 15 km southwest of Chora. Koundouros is a sandy, organized beach with blue shallow waters and a bar restaurant
- Gialiskari: located 7 km northwest of Chora. A sandy bay with clean green blue serene waters
- Kambi: located 18 km southwest of Chora. A sandy beach with a few tamarisk trees providing shade, located in a bay, protected by strong winds
- Spathi: located 13 km northeast of Chora. Spathi in Tzia is one of the most beautiful beaches with calm and crystal clear waters
- Otzias: located 10 km north of Chora. An organized beach, with a picturesque environment and fully protected from strong winds
- Pisses: located 11 km south west of Chora. Party organized with transparent waters, ideal for snorkeling and swimming
Tzia hotels & accomodations
Most of the accommodation options in Tzia are located in the town of Ioulida ( Chora), close to many tourist facilities and everything you might need. But either you choose to stay in Chora or in any of the other beautiful settlements of the island like Bourkari, Otzias or Koundouros you will find a variety of options, from hotels and villas to well equipped studios and apartments.
A list of the best places to stay in Tzia:
- Zen Blue Mills
- Aigis Suites
- Kea Village
- Hotel Karthea
- Ydor Hotel & Spa
- Porto Kea Suites
- Otzias Villas
- Eleon Apartments
- Orso Blue
- Kea La Vie
- Agrikea Kea
- Aegean View Seaside Rooms and Studios
Island Hopping from Tzia
Tzia island is part of the Cyclades Complex and the closest cycladic island to Athens. It is located on the western edge of the Cyclades which makes the island an ideal starting point for some island hopping. So don't miss the chance to visit: