Find below useful information regarding the departure port, the ferries and the schedules so as to organize your trip with the ferry from Athens to Chania!
There are regular ferries throughout the year that offer routes from the port of Piraeus in the western suburbs of Athens to the beautiful place of Chania on the westernmost side of Crete. Depending on the seasonality there might be less or more available routes but in any case the ferries offering this route will surely make the crossing pleasant and comfortable providing luxurious facilities, entertainment options, bars, restaurants and fantastic sea view. So don’t waste any time and book your ferry to this beautiful medieval town with some of the most beautiful beaches in Greece.
Distance from Athens to Chania
The distance between the port of Piraues in Athens and the port of Souda in Chania is approximately 150 nautical miles (277km).
Travel duration from Athens to Chania
Depending on the ferry operator, the vessel type or depending on external factors such as weather conditions, the travel duration from Athens to Chania can vary between 6 and 11 hours.
Ferry types and schedules from Athens to Chania?
During the winter months there are usually 1-2 sailings per day covered primarily by conventional ferries. During the summer months, there are also high speed ferries serving the route and you will be able to find more than 2-3 sailings per day. If you choose a conventional ferry, the ferry trip duration ranges from 9 to 11 hours and from 6 to 7 hours with a high speed ferry.
Where does the ferry dock in Chania?
The city of Chania is served by the port of Souda, located 6km from the city center and considered one of the most important ports in the Mediterranean. Souda is a small village with a typical port area and a beautiful landscape. Getting from the port to Chania is really easy since a public bus transfer is provided.
Tips for your ferry trip to Chania
- The port of Piraeus is a busy port so make sure you are there at least 1-2 hours before embarkation and check-in
- In our Piraeus page you will be able to find information about public transport and how you can reach the port
- Secure your holidays in Chania by booking your ferry tickets in advance
- Take some more time to explore the entire island of Crete after Chania
- Use the isFerry booking system to check the available timetables, compare prices and book the route, vessel and accommodation on board you prefer