Ferry from Piombino to Portoferraio
Take a ferry from Piombino to Portoferraio and enjoy a fast crossing from the Etruscan coast to the main port of Elba, one of the islands of Tuscan Archipelago!
Piombino is a town full of history and beautiful nature that attracts every visitor of the Tuscany area. The historical center of Piombino with the defense walls, the Piazza Bovio which is the largest Italian square by the sea, the residence of Elisa Bonaparte who ruled Piombino and the Archaeological Museum are some of the most important sights worth visiting. Several monuments of the old town witness the Medieval and the Renaissance past of Piombino but the view of Elba Island from the Bovio Square at sunset can never be forgotten.
The name of Portoferraio (meaning “Iron Port” in Italian) was given to the place as the Romans and the Etruscans used the port for the iron trade. The imposing Medici Fortress which stands all around the port dating back to the 16th century, the old town with the historical treasures, the Roman villas, the picturesque churches and the Napoleon´s residence attract every passenger to stroll around the city and admire the charming atmosphere.
Make a quick search through our real-time booking engine, book your tickets in advance with a few clicks and live the experience of a pleasant trip to Elba!
Piombino to Portoferraio ferry time
Piombino to Portoferraio ferry time is only from 30 to 40 minutes by hydrofoil and 1 hour by conventional ship. Several on board services are available like inside lounge seats and bars or deck seats on the outside area of the boat.
Piombino to Portoferraio ferry schedule
Piombino to Portoferraio ferry schedule is determined according to seasonality, with more frequent daily itineraries during the summer period. As the travel time and the distance is short the ferries which connect the Tuscanian mainland to Elba Island run from the early morning hours until the evening, so travelers have the possibility to choose the most convenient route.
Cars are allowed on fast boats while hydrofoils carry only passengers as there is no garage available.
Useful tips for your Piombino Portoferraio ferry
- This route is very popular in summer, so have in mind to be at the port 90 minutes before departure for check-in and embarkation if you are traveling with a vehicle
- Passengers without a vehicle must be at the port at least 30 min before departure
- Visit the Villa dei Mulini the official residence of Napoleon and the other museums and monuments as described in our pages dedicated to Portoferraio
- Visit the beach resort of Cavo on the east coast of the island of Elba. It is a perfect beach with crystal and swallow waters
- Enjoy your dinner at a seafood restaurant on the waterfront or on the old piazza of Portoferraio