Taking the ferry to Sami, the visitor will reach a seaside town with a shining bay surrounded by green hills, the largest commercial center & port of Kefalonia!
Sami is located on the east coast of Kefalonia, at the bottom of a bay which forms a baffled harbour, opposite Ithaca and 22 km from Argostoli, the capital of Kefalonia. It is the largest port of the island as there is a frequent connection by ferry with the port of Kyllini and Patras but also with local ferries with other nearby Ionian islands such as Zakynthos and Ithaca. Sami, which was once a small fishing village became world famous with the screening of the film "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" with scenes from the beach of Antisamos and has been a magnet for thousands of tourists who choose the island of Kefalonia as a holiday resort in recent years. It is a lively town with wonderful shops, bustling cafes and seafood restaurants, but also rich in history with atmospheric ruins, mysterious caves, hiking trails and ancient archaeological sites.
At the top of the hill, the ruins of the old town show that Sami was a thriving and well-organized city. There is also the acropolis of Kyati and the Monastery of Agrilios. The area has 17 recorded sites of caves and underground lakes, making it the only place in Greece with such an intense geomorphology. Sami will reward the visitor with its stunning beaches with white sand and emerald waters.
The truth is that nature has been very generous to Sami, as it is surrounded by lush vegetation, underground caves and beautiful lakes. The green of the trees reaches down to the deep blue colour of the sea. Sami combines its rich history with its unique beauty, offering a holiday destination for all types of travellers.
Get your bags ready and book your trip to Sami in advance and enjoy a unique journey!
Getting to Sami (Kefalonia) by ferry
There are ferry routes in order to get to Sami, in Kefalonia by ferry, which start from the ports of Kyllini, Patras, Ithaca and Astakos. The routes from Kyllini are 3 to 4 on a daily basis and the journey time is 1.5 hour, while from Patras, there is about one daily route and the crossing time is approx. 3.5 hours.
From the small port of Astakos, that is an important link between the hinterland of Aitoloakarnania and the Ionian Islands, there is also a frequent connection with Kefalonia on a daily basis and a travel time of 2 hours and 15 minutes.
There are also several daily connections from Ithaca to Sami and travel time ranges from 30 to 40 minutes.
Port of Sami (Kefalonia)
The port of Sami is located 25 km from Argostoli, the capital of Kefalonia, and is a wonderful blend of Italian architecture and the magnificent Mediterranean beauty of the Ionian Sea. It is located on the central east coast of Kefalonia and is the busiest port of the island with many ferry companies operating daily from Patras, Pisaetos/Ithaki and Kyllini.
It is worth noting that there are seasonal connections from Sami to the Italian ports of Bari and Brindisi.
In the harbour area, the visitor will notice the beautiful waterfront, with wide paved streets and Venetian buildings reflecting the rich heritage of the island. The main promenade consists of modern amenities, shops and lovely cafes overlooking the busy harbour while nearby are many restaurants, as well as beautiful accommodation for all tastes.
Move around Sami
There are many different ways to move to/from Sami to and from any part of the island.
By Public Transport
Buses from Sami leave from the bus station on the way to the port. The cost for local buses in Kefalonia is cheap compared to renting a car, especially in high season.
From the airport to Sami town, the distance is approximately 33 km. There is a bus station outside the airport building. There are several buses from the airport to Sami during the day.
From the port to Sami town, there is a bus station at the port. There are bus connections to the most parts of the island. Ttake a look at the timetables in Sami Buses.
Choosing a taxi is always the quickest and most relaxing way to get around. There are several taxis at the port waiting to pick you up when you arrive by ferry.
For more information, please visit Sami Taxis.
Holidays in Sami
Browsing through lists of beautiful destinations, holidays in Sami seem to be ideal, if you are planning to visit Greece.
Sami is a real jewel on the green island of Kefalonia, with its picturesque port, beautiful town in a stunning setting of hills covered with pine trees, offering a spectacular views to the visitors.
Its beaches are excellent, such as the big screen projected Antisamos with its stunning white pebbles and turquoise waters, making it an ideal place for sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling.
Moreover, for those whose holidays are not just about sea and sun, Sami offers interesting tours to fascinating cultural and natural sites, caves, and for the more active ones, exciting hikes and horseback riding and sea sports excursions.
And for those who want to explore other nearby destinations, a trip to the island of Ithaca, famous through Greek mythology, will definitely fascinate them.
Beaches in Sami
There are not many beaches around Sami. The most famous beach model for the island of Kefalonia is Antisamos with crystal blue waters and a wonderful green landscape. Another beach is located towards the village of Karavomylos, the homonymous Karavomylos Beach, which stretches for about 1 km. Karavomilos is a quiet fishing village famous for its natural beauty and is situated among eucalyptus trees.
Things to do in Sami
It is no coincidence that so many tourists visit this beautiful part of Kefalonia as there are so many things to do in Sami.
Some of them are:
- Melissani Cave: an underground cave, Melissani Cave was created by the dissolution of rocks
- Ancient Sami: one of the most important archeological discoveries of Kefalonia, and Agrilia Monastery both offer fine views over Sami, towards Ithaka and the mainland. Close by you will also find the church and ruins of Agios Fanentes
- Karavomylos Lake: according to scientists, Karavomylos is part of strange geological phenomena observed in Kefalonia: researchers have found that the waters from Katavothres on the western side of the island, end up here after traversing underground Kefalonia and mixed with fresh water of subsoil. You can circumnavigate the lake using a cobbled footpath, it’s a short walk that offers spectacular views
- Drogarati Caves: was discovered 300 years ago and opened to the public in 1963. It was discovered when a strong earthquake caused a collapse that revealed the cave's entrance. Drogarati is an impressive cave with remarkable formations of stalactites and stalagmites. Speleologists say that this cave is about 150 million years old and constitutes a rare geological phenomenon. The cave is about 60m deep and has a constant temperature of 18ΊC. The humidity of the cave reaches 90%
- Nautical Museum of Sami: located just outside of the village on the road to Argostoli, you will find 22 hand-made wooden shipping vessels spanning an history of 3,500yrs
- Ruins of Old Vlachata: is a traditional uphill Kefalonian old village which was completely destroyed by the 1953 major earthquake
- Monastery of Panagia Agrilion: situated on a hill just above the bay of Sami, there is the Monastery of Agrilion, an important religious site for the locals. The location of the monastery offers an incredible view to the blue-green waters of Antisamos beach on one side and the towns of Sami and Agia Efimia on the other
- Casa-Museo: in the museum revive the old bourgeoisie cephalonic residences of the 18th to the 20th century until the 1953
- Kefalonia island tour: plan a scenic drive around the island passing through Mount Ainos, visit the Obola winery and taste the famous Robola wine variety. Explore the Drogarati caves, famous for their acoustics. Visit the geological phenomenon that is Lake Melissani, which is located in an underground cave. Visit popular beaches such as Myrtos, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world
Hotels in Sami
Hotels in Sami satisfy all tastes. Below we give you a list of hotels and rooms that you can find in the beautiful Sami:
- Sami Beach Hotel
- Alancia Suites
- Ionian Emerald Resort
- Villa Rosa Apartments
- Regina Dell’Acqua Resort
- The Seasons of Nikolas Resort
- Staggia Studios
- Seafront Harbour View
- Penelope & Emily Villas
- Ourania Apartments - Studios