Board on either the regular or the high-speed ferry from Santorini to Crete and arrive in a miscellaneous and one of the most popular islands of Greece!
There are frequent ferry connections happening between the ports of Santorini and Heraklion in Crete all year long. The particular crossing is very popular and tourists, after spending some days in the romantic Santorini (Thira), continue their vacation in Greece’s largest island, Crete, famous for its diversity, history and big range of beaches and landmarks. Below, we provide all the necessary details for your journey, plus, the isferry booking system which allows you to book your tickets in no time!
Santorini to Heraklion ferry duration
It all depends on the type of vessel you are traveling with, thus, the Santorini to Heraklion ferry duration fluctuates from 2 to 6 hours. Note that, the distance between Crete and Santorini, more specifically from Athinios port in Fira to Heraklion port, is 150 km (81 nautical miles).
Conventional ferry boat from Santorini to Crete
The conventional ferry boat from Santorini to Crete is operating all year long while the high speeds only in high season which is the period between April and September. The journey time is around 6 hours.
High-speed ferries to Crete from Santorini
In summer, high speed vessels are much more frequent than conventional ones, with at least 2 crossings per day and an average travel time of 2 hours.
Useful information for your journey from Santorini (Thira) to Crete
- Athinios port in Santorini can be jammed in summer so consider arriving there at least 1 hour earlier of your departure
- The port in Heraklion abstains only a few meters from the city center
- There are public transportation services in Heraklion’s port. You can learn more in our Heraklion page
- You can make day trips to Crete from Santorini since there are numerous daily ferries
- Book your ferry tickets from Santorini to Crete in advance and enjoy your holiday in Greece