Ferry from Athens to Syros
Plan your trip by taking the ferry from Athens to Syros and be ready to meet the impressive capital of Cyclades, with the picturesque villages and beaches!
The island, called “Syra” by the locals, with the great history and civilization, is the administrative, commercial and cultural center of the complex of Cyclades. When the ferry approaches the port of Syros, travelers can admire the capital Ermoupolis (meaning the city of Hermes) and also the medieval settlement of Ano Syros. Greek Orthodox as well as Catholic residents have been living harmoniously for decades and every year welcome the visitors who can admire the beautiful squares, the neoclassical houses and buildings, the Cathedrals, the local music and food and the beautiful beaches.
Athens to Syros ferry types
There are two basic ferry types for the route from Athens to Syros, the conventional ones and the high speed vessels.
Regular car ferries take more travel time but they are definitely the most popular and cheapest ones! Especially on day trips, normal ferries are a relaxing and enjoyable way to make the Athens - Syros trip, with all the fantastic Aegean sea views and the sea breeze someone can feel from the decks!
High speed ferry tickets are more expensive but the travel time is almost half! Occasionally there are high speed ferries from Athens to Syros available that can transport vehicles.
Athens to Syros ferry distance
The Athens to Syros ferry distance is estimated to be 70 nautical miles from the port of Piraeus and 62 nautical miles from the port of Rafina (occasional routes usually during summer). Also there is an indirect connection from Lavrion port but not very often. In order to be informed about all the schedules in detail, please visit our booking engine and make your booking with a few clicks.
Athens to Syros ferry time
The Athens to Syros ferry time depends on the ferry type and the intermediary stops to other islands. The high-speed ferries need about 2.5h to approach Syros from Piraeus port. The regular ferries reach Syros in about 4 hours but the trip is comfortable and pleasant.
Useful information and recommendations
- The island of Syros is a very popular destination for summer vacation, so book your tickets in advance and enjoy your ferry trip!
- While in Syros, do not miss to go to a local tavern to listen to the local authentic music and taste the delicious specialties and wine
- If you are traveling by car, make sure to be at the port of Piraeus at least one hour before because during summer season the traffic is usually increased
- Plan a visit to the Apollon Theatre with an architecture influenced by the Italian theaters
- A two-day trip to Mykonos or Tinos is a good opportunity from Syros