Find below additional information on how you can get with the ferry from Rhodes to Crete, Greece's biggest island, including useful tips for your journey!
The beautiful island of Crete is the largest Greek island, located at the southern tip of Greece between the Libyan and Cretan seas and it attracts millions of tourists from all over the world. The capital of Crete is Heraklion but it consists of four Municipalities, Heraklion, Lassithi on the eastern side and Chania and Rethymnon on the western side. The mythical island of Crete is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Greece due to its famous beaches, its natural beauty, its rich history and culture and the worldwide famous gastronomy. Explore the island and you will come across a unique charm, noble mansions, museums, fountains, old churches and Venetian fortresses.
Book your tickets to Crete from Rhodes in advance and visit the famous Samaria gorge, the Knossos and Phaistos Palace and the islet Spinalonga.
Rhodes to Crete distance
The distance between Rhodes and Crete is approximately 336 kilometers (181 nautical miles).
Rhodes to Crete ferry time and schedule
You can travel from Rhodes to Crete and arrive either at the port of Sitia or the port of Heraklion.
- Rhodes to Sitia Ferry: Depending on the seasonality and the demand, there are routes from the port of Rhodes to Sitia all year round approximately 2-3 times a week. This route is served by a normal/ conventional ferry and the trip duration is approximately 11 hours. Sitia/s ferry port is located on the northeastern edge of the island Crete
- Rhodes to Heraklion Ferry: Οnce a week there is also a route from Rhodes to the port of Heraklion. The duration of the sailing is approximately 14 hours, served by a conventional ferry as well. The port of Heraklion is the third busiest port of Greece as it serves around 2 million passengers. It is located in central Crete along the north coast, 145 km east of the town of Chania and 3km west of the nearest airport of Crete Nikos Kazantzakis International
Conventional Ferry from Rhodes to Crete
The specific route is usually served by conventional (normal) ferries. These ferries are large vessels that provide a relaxing and fun experience to the travelers as they can book their seats on an open deck and enjoy the blue sea of the Aegean. Apart from the open decks this type of ferry also has indoor salons, air type seats, a restaurant and a garage for those that want to travel with their vehicles. Depending on the operator, there might also be bookable cabins for 2-4 passengers.
Tips for your ferry trip to Crete
- Remember to arrive in the port at least 1-2 hours before your departure time
- Check all the available routes and compare the prices on our online booking platform before you book your tickets
- Crete attracts a lot of tourists, so we suggest you book your ferry tickets in advance
- Please, take a look in our Crete and Rhodes pages for transportation options