Take the conventional or high-speed ferry from Crete to Santorini and enjoy a delightful holiday in a stunning and one of Greece’s most popular islands!
One beloved ferry route, from Greece’s biggest island to a special and like no other, Santorini. The short distance between them is covered by frequent high-speed but also some conventional vessels are operating itineraries, especially in summer. Get all the information you may need about the specific route, along with useful tips for your journey and have a safe and relaxing trip.
By using the simple isferry booking system, you will be able to book your ferry tickets from Crete to Santorini in advance and in just a few minutes!
Getting from Crete to Santorini
The distance between Crete’s port, Heraklion and Santorini’s port, Athinios is around 150 km. The ferry time varies according to the type of vessel you are boarding, the number of stopovers and from which port of Crete you are departing. Ferry boats are divided into two categories and these are the regular conventional ferries and the high speeds.
Crete (Heraklion) to Santorini ferry duration
Currently, neither Chania and Rethymno ports are connecting Crete with Santorini and only the port in Heraklion is operating routes between the two islands. The journey duration with the Heraklion to Santorini ferry is 6 hours with a conventional ferry and 2 hours with a high speed.
Ferry boat from Heraklion to Santorini schedule
Ferry boats from Heraklion to Santorini are departing at least 2 times per day in high season months (April to September) and are mostly high-speed ones. Please, use our online booking engine for the most up-to-date results.
Conventional or high-speed ferry?
The choice is up to you. The advantages of bigger ferries are that they are much more comfortable for longer journeys, have the ability to carry vehicles and provide many amenities on board but are slow. High-speed ferries are more agile, reducing the duration of the crossing in less than half but are less cozy.
Tips for your trip to Santorini from Crete
- The port in Heraklion is close to the city center. Athinios port, likewise, is based in Thira, Santorini’s capital
- It is recommended to arrive in Heraklion port 1-2 hours prior to your departure, for check-in and embarkation, since it gets jammed in summer
- You can make 1 or 2-day trips to Santorini from Crete due to their short distance
- Santorini has a good location for island hopping but before that, be sure you spend at least 3 days on the island to explore it on its fullest
- In our Santorini page, you will find all the relative information about its land services