Passengers who take the regular or high-speed ferry from Santorini to Athens are departing from Athinios port and arrive in the ports of Piraeus or Rafina!
Hundreds of ferries in summer, are leaving from the magical and unique Santorini, cross the Aegean Sea passing through the Cyclades and arrive in either Piraeus or Rafina in Athens. Despite the fact that the journey is not that short, the operating vessels are providing plenty of amenities on board and make it a wonderful experience. Take a look in the user-friendly isferry booking engine and book your ferry tickets to the capital of Greece in advance!
Distance between Santorini and Athens
The Santorini to Athens distance and more specifically, from Athinios’ port to Piraeus port which is next to Athens city center, is around 235 km. The ferries from Santorini are arriving in the port of Rafina as well, where the distance is 225 km.
Santorini to Athens ferry time
The ferry time from Santorini to Athens differs according to the port of arrival, total stopovers to other islands and what type of vessel you have booked. Ferry boats are separated into two main categories which are the conventional ships and the high speeds.
Conventional ferry from Santorini (Thira) to Athens
Conventional or else, regular ferries are big, comfortable due to the variety of seats and possession of bed-cabins, lounges and garages but come with the cost of being slow.
Santorini to Piraeus: a route that can last from 7 to 9 hours with the regular ferry
High speed ferry Santorini to Athens
Getting from Santorini to Athens with a high speed ferry grants you the advantage of traveling fast to your destination in a slightly higher ferry ticket price than regular ferries. It is also notable to mention that high speeds offer only aircraft type numbered seats and have less facilities on board.
Santorini to Piraeus port: the average time of the crossing is 5 hours
Santorini to Rafina port: the itinerary may last 5-7 hours depending on the stopovers
Useful information for your journey to Athens from Santorini
- Piraeus port abstains only a few kilometers from the historical center of Athens
- Rafina port is near Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos” (20-30 minutes)
- For details about public transportation in Athens, please visit our Piraeus and Rafina pages
- Before arriving in Athens, Mykonos is a very popular stop for those who depart from Santorini
- Please, check our online booking engine for ferry timetables and price comparison in order for you to reserve what suits you best
- Secure your trip by booking your ferry tickets from Santorini to Athens in advance