Ferry from Ios to Athens
Get on a ferry from Ios to Athens and enjoy a wonderful journey full of sea and sun from the exciting island of Cyclades to the historical capital of Greece!
Leaving from the island of Ios or Nios as it is usually called by the locals, you will be full of experiences, completely satisfied by the endless sandy beaches, the magnificent blue-green of the sea, the delicious traditional cuisine, the vivid nightlife and the rich history of the island from the prehistoric times until the present day.
Upon arrival in Athens, Piraeus or Rafina Port, you could visit the centre of the city to admire the archaeological sites, historical buildings and ancient monuments known worldwide like the Acropolis, the National Archaeological Museum, the Museum of Cycladic Art and many more.
Organise your Ios to Athens ferry trip and book your tickets in advance for a journey in the Aegean Sea, one of the most attractive seas in the world!
Ios to Athens ferry duration
The ferry duration from Athens to Ios is estimated to be between 7h to 11h and it may vary depending on the port of arrival, the type of ferry, the various stopovers and sometimes the weather conditions.
For detailed information regarding the schedules, the accommodation and prices you can explore our booking engine and make your reservation in advance.
Ios to Athens ferry distance
The Ios to Athens/Piraeus port ferry distance is about 163 nautical miles whereas to Rafina port is 99 nautical miles.
Conventional or high speed ferry from Ios to Athens?
In order to plan your trip you should check the different types of vessels as well as the journey time. Conventional or high speed ferries from Ios to Athens operate daily throughout the year but have in mind that the crossing to Rafina port is scheduled during the summer months.
Regular ferries may be slower but the tickets are less expensive and there is the choice of a seat on the open deck of the vessel, especially if the weather is good and hot and the sea is calm and appealing.
Popular ferry Routes from Ios to Athens
Athens has three ports that serve the ferries which connect the city with almost all the Greek islands.
- Piraeus port, situated just a few kilometres from the city centre is the largest and the busiest ferry port with a lot of terminals that serve the numerous ferries, catamarans and cruise boats that arrive in Athens.
- Rafina port, located in the eastern part of the capital, at a distance of about 1 hour by car from the city centre, attracts many tourists visiting the Cyclades islands and it is very convenient as it is close to the Athens International Airport.
- Lavrio is the third largest port in Athens, on the southeast coast of Attica, 60km from the centre of Athens and 30 km from the Athens International Airport. Occasionally the port of Lavrio serves ferries from Ios with intermediate stops to other Cyclades islands
Useful information about your journey
- Our page dedicated to Athens city can provide you with all the information needed for a visit to the historical centre
- Visit our Ios island page and get some recommendations for the connected routes to the other islands like Paros and Naxos with departures and frequency
- Be at the port of Piraeus at least 1 hour before departure for check-in and embarkation